1 House 100 Years

Preparing For The Centennial Of A Place That Matters

Month: December, 2014

What I Have Learned About Staining and Finish a Floor…(Beyond the Fact That This Has Definitely Been Worth All of the Extra Work!)


After all of the scraping and repairing, there was sanding and touching up, it was time for staining and finishing. It was a challenge to hold off on moving to the staining and finishing, since those were the final steps would tell me if all of this work was worthwhile.

Could my old floor be saved? And if it could, would it live up to my hopes and expectations? The biggest investment up to this point had been in my time. The cost of boards and sandpaper were really quite small when compared to the amount of time I’d invested.

“Gunstock” was the stain color which was the closest match for the old original aged finish. A test area was very useful to ensure a good stain selection. It was a little more reddish-brown than golden-yellow, however my finish coat gave it a golden-yellow tone for a practically perfect match.

Quick Tip: Collect a lot of old T-shirts ahead of time. You can use them for wiping everything down before applying stain to remove any remaining sanding residue. They are also useful when wiping away extra stain.

“Photograph 1” was taken about halfway through applying stain to the living room floor. The morning sunlight really enhanced the appearance of the work in progress. There was that warm and welcoming color that I had been looking for at last! I felt good about my choices.

Quick Tip: Foam sponges are great for stain application because they come in various sizes and can match the width of a floor board and can even be cut to fit the width very easily if needed. They also minimize any bubbling and are good for “spot staining” if needed.

Although one coat of stain was perfect for the old original boards, the new replacement boards needed a second or third coat to help them match and blend in better. Green painter’s tape was perfect for isolating boards that needed some additional work with staining to blend in better visually.

Because the original floor boards had color variety due to some showing the pine heart wood and others showing the effects of light and foot traffic, it was helpful to make some of my new replacement boards slightly darker than others. This helped them to blend in much better visually.

Although I normally hesitate to recommend any particular product by name, an exception to this is with my final floor finish, Waterlox tung oil. This was the same product I had used for my red oak countertops and has proven to be great for a surface that is frequently wet.

“Photograph 2” shows the living room floor after one coat while still wet. “Photograph 3” shows the dining room floor after one coat and also still wet. Some of the glossiness diminished after drying, particularly on my new replacement boards. Overall though the appearance changed little after two more coats.

“Photograph 4” shows the dining room after all three coats have dried adequately to allow brief sock traffic. Although it would have been possible to apply all three coats over a period of three days, I chose to have a “day off” between coats for better drying and fume dissipation.

Quick Tip: Ventilate! Ventilate! Ventilate! That means plenty of fresh air flowing through with doors and windows open!

The staining photograph was taken in November 2014, and the finishing photographs were taken were December 2014. There was about a one month period between staining and finishing. This was more due to my work schedule than any requirements of the products used.


Merry Christmas, Everyone!


Merry Christmas! And thank you for continuing to follow along even though my posts have been rather scarce this year!

Much of my year has been spent restoring and refinishing the floors in my living room and dining room. As I hope you can see from this photograph, they came out really well while still retaining much of their worn and aged appearance.

I will be finishing up with these “floor how-to” posts soon since there are only a few more experiences and helpful tips that I’d like to share. After that, I will be moving on to new and most likely previously unexplored renovation projects!

Dear Readers, I wish all of you the warmest of Christmases this year!

Merry Christmas!


Chinese Snowball Viburnum…Now This Is What Buying A Brand New Shovel Is For!


Although it resembles a hydrangea in many ways and particularly with its flowers, this incredible plant is actually a Chinese Snowball Viburnum. Planting a great specimen like this one is the main reason that I bought a new shovel, not to dig out and replace my old waste drain line!

To me, this is a “classic” Southern plant, and it does like a warmer climate. It should remain evergreen here in my Tidewater Virginia yard, though in more northernly regions it will be deciduous. The biggest challenge was finding the perfect spot for viewing from my sunroom throughout the year.

Evergreen Shrub…height 10 feet, width 10 feet, 6-8 inch clusters of white flowers from May to June. (Mine was blooming in the latter part of the summer when I bought it, though this is most likely because it originally came from a nursery in a more southern state.)

Light…full sun to partial shade, protect from strong afternoon sun.

Water…provide medium moisture.

Site and Soil…USDA zones 6-9, well-drained slightly acid soil but can tolerate alkaline conditions, provide shelter from cold, drying winds.

Pruning and Special Care…prune shortly after flowering to remove dead wood and shape, fertilize after planting and again after flowering.

This photograph was taken September 2014, just before my waste drain line caused a major excavation and repair job. I wish that my brand new shovel had been used first to plant this incredible specimen, but that did not happen until much later!